Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ouch!

OSU 73 MU 71.


This one kinda hurt. So many times this season the Tigers have teased fans and tricked them into believing that they could have a shot at the NCAA Tournament. I had given up on that idea after the Manhattan Massacre...or so I thought. 

Then I wake up today and see this headline from the Post-Dispatch: "Tourney birth for Tigers isn't out of the question." I laughed that headline off, but then as I watched Mizzou trade punches with OSU (who happens to be one of the hottest teams in the country) I started thinking, "Well, if we pull this out and then somehow upset Baylor on the road (which I realize would have been highly unlikely but we're dealing in hypotheticals here) then we play Iowa State at home, which we should win and then we're playing OU in a season finale that could put us on the bubble if we win." 

Then of course Byron Eaton hits a last second shot and now we're probably going to have to win a road game just to have a shot at making the NIT (we've already dropped to the last no. 4 seed according to NIT-ology and that was before tonight).

Despite the disappointing finish I thought this may have been the second best overall performance by the Tigers all season. I thought they played a more complete game tonight than they did when they beat K-State earlier this year. My only complaint would be the team perimeter defense. They allowed OSU to shoot nearly .60% from behind the arc. Several of those were guarded shots by Eaton that weren't in rhythm at all but fell because he's a great shooter. But an even larger number were wide open uncontested looks.

I really can't single out a single Missouri player that played poorly. And Leo Lyons completely WENT OFF. 27 points while hitting 12 of his 13 shots, 18 rebounds three blocks and two assists. I knew he was talented but he has the potential to be a first round NBA draft pick. This is back to back solid performances by Leo. He usually plays well when he gets off to a good start offensively but on Saturday he never really got going and still worked hard on the boards. I don't want to speak to soon, but maybe he's turned the corner? He's really the X-factor for next season because he could easily be an All-Big 12 selection. 

As disappointing as this game's ending was it had to make you feel good about next season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's really tough to watch a team play so well but still lose. But give OSU credit, they are a hot team and couldn't miss from behind the arc.