Sunday, March 2, 2008

So that's what a real team looks like.


I didn't post my thoughts on the Baylor game on Saturday because I was not able to watch the game. On Friday I went home to watch my alma mater, Fair Play High, win their first district championship in 11 years. 


Not that I think too many of you care about class 1 high school basketball, but I do and since I'm sick of writing about our future NBAers (more on that later this week) I'm making the executive decision to write about a team that wears Black and Gold and doesn't make me want to vomit. 

Like I said, 11 years since the last district champion was from the FP and we've had some pretty bad teams over the past decade and have also been the victims of bad luck on more than one occasion. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our district is as good as any in the state. There were two or three years where we probably would have won had we been in just about any other district (district 11's the Pac 10 of Missouri class 1 high school basketball). 

But the streak of bad luck and bad teams is finally over. Our guys are ranked no. 9 in the state, are winners of 18 straight and needless to say, are the talk of the booming metropolis of Fair Play. 

Several of the guys on the team were freshmen during my senior year and they always worked hard in practice and you could tell they loved basketball. They've had a couple rough seasons themselves and have had plenty of opportunities to throw in the towel, so I gotta say I'm proud of them. 

They're the first team I've seen in person that seems to have a will and desire to win in quite awhile. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at the game myself and can say these guys played with the desire and heart you like to see out of championship basketball teams

Anonymous said...

Awesome article.