Friday, May 23, 2008

Mizzou athletes doing their best Steven Spielberg impressions


After I posted that Glen Dandridge video a few posts down (a GD25 Production) I received a link to Marcus Woods's youtube profile (he actually does an awesome Waterboy impersonation). That got me wondering how many other Mizzou athletes have made youtube videos? Greg Bracey is featured in a popular and utterly hilarious "Res Hall Linebacker" video but I don't think he is the one that posted it. Dandridge and Castine Bridges are the only other Mizzou athletes that I am aware of that have posted videos and Bridges has several, including his high school highlights, but I am sure there are more. If you know of any please pass along the link, some of these videos are pretty entertaining. 


Now onto some other links:
  • Aaron Crow was named Big 12 Pitcher of the Year. Not a big surprise, nor was it a surprise that OF Aaron Senne and DH Jacob Priday joined him on the All-Big 12 First Team. C Trevor Coleman earned 2nd-team honors while SP Kyle Gibson, 2B Greg Folgia and OF Ryan Lollis were Honorable Mention. I'm a little disappointed that Gibby wasn't better this year. I thought he was going to be just a notch below Crow this season but he was shakier than I expected. I guess part of my problem with Gibby is that the only other pitcher comparable to him in size that I have seen live has been Randy Johnson so I just naturally assume he's going to be just like the Big Unit, which is obviously unfair. Good thing is, he's only a sophomore and should be better than Crow and maybe even Scherzer by the time it's said and done.
  • If you haven't seen this, Rock M Nation has been doing a tournament to decide "the best, most likable, most influential Mizzou coach of the last 25 years." Currently wrestling coach Brian Smith is beating the legend himself, Norm Stewart. Smith has earned 56% of the votes, earlier today he had a 60/40 advantage. I'm sorry but that's absurd. Rock M's readership must consist of an enormous amount of MU wrestling fans. I'm not taking anything away from Smith because he's a fantastic guy and what he's done with the program is remarkable, BUT IT'S NORM STEWART. The man is the face of Mizzou athletics. Rock M did a similar tournament a couple months ago to determine the best athlete and Ben Askren crushed Chase Daniel in the final, which I think is legitimate. Askren might be the greatest athlete to ever compete for the university. But Smith beating Stormin' Norman is nothing short of outrageous. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how does Pig beat out BRAD SMITH in the Mizzou 25? craziness

The True Son said...

Pig was only able to beat Brad because he never had to go against Brad head to head since they were seeded in different regions of the bracket. Brad made the cut for the football region and therefore ran into Chase Daniel in the third round. Pig on the other hand, was in the fan favorite/athletes from non-revenue sports region and didn't have quite the same level of competition. I doubt even the most short sighted of Mizzou fans would vote for Pig over #16 if they were matched up directly against one another.