Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sports journalism and the role that Big MO Sports (and other blogs) will play in it


Photo through Creative Commons

I'll start this post with a disclaimer: If you are looking for commentary on Mizzou athletics then you should probably skip this post and come back later this week. I've been meaning to devote a post to Mizzou's running back situation and plan to write that sooner rather than later. But for now I'm going to be discussing something that is pretty much unrelated to Chase Daniel, Aaron Crow and Keon Lawrence.

I'm still trying to figure out what direction to take this blog. I plan to keep its focus predominantly on all things Mizzou, but since the conception of Big MO Sports, I have tended to include a lot of commentary on the world of sports journalism. That in itself is not entirely unrelated to Mizzou considering MU is essentially the journalism capital of the U.S. But I would like to include more of those critiques in my posts since sports journalism, along with MU athletics, are probably my two favorite things to talk about.

And that's what brings us to tonight's post. By now, if you care about blogs, journalism or Friday Night Lights (the book, not the movie or TV series) then you've probably seen or at least heard of (Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and the author of the groundbreaking FNL) Buzz Bissinger's infamous tirade on the HBO program, Costas Now, directed at Will Leitch, founder of the popular sports blog site Deadspin

I avoided commenting on the Bissinger ordeal immediately after it happened for several reasons:
  1. Virtually every sports-related blogger commented on Bissinger's comments to the point that the topic was completely beaten into the ground and there was nothing left for me to say that hadn't already been said.
  2. Bissinger's comments were completely off base. He proved to have no comprehension of what blogs were nor what they should or could be. He sounded like an angry carriage driver refusing to acknowledge that the automobile is the means of transportation of the future. Which leads me to my final reason.
  3. I hated seeing what a moron Bissinger at least seems to be. I guess previous to his appearance on the show I could have been considered a Bissinger disciple. I loved his book on Tony La Russa, 3 Nights in August, and Friday Night Lights should be read by every aspiring journalist whether they have an interest in sports or not. 
Now the reason I bring Bissinger up now is not to point out how stupid (and cruel) his comments were but to use him as the prototypical example of a guy who doesn't understand where journalism is headed and the role that blogs will play in said future. 

Furthermore, I'd like to compare him to a guy who I believe does get it, the Kansas City Star's Joe Posnanski. Joe-Po recently did an interview for the blog, The Big Lead in which he discussed many interesting topics including the future (or lack thereof) of newspapers. 

The future of that medium has been a growing concern of mine with my entrance into the working world growing nearer and more and more people, including Tony Kornheiser, proclaiming that newspapers are dead. That death is being largely attributed to blogs like Deadspin and Fanhouse (although I have yet to hear Big MO Sports blamed for this death). But something Posnanski, who writes one of the best sports columns in America and also updates a brilliant blog regularly, points out is that although Kornheiser is great at what he does (he's wonderful on his radio show, fantastic on PTI and excellent on Monday Night Football) and has been one of the best sports writers of our generation, he hasn't really been a newspaper writer for quite a long time now. Therefore, he is probably not the most qualified person to be making such bold statements. 

Moreover, Posnanski sees the use that blogs can have in supplementing newspapers:

"It seems to me that blogs can be whatever we want to make them, but we have to make them ESSENTIAL. They are a direct line to our readers. It’s a great opportunity, but it’s more important than ever that you offer something unique — a strong voice, an informed outlook, an insider’s view, a funny approach, a breath of honesty, whatever — because there’s just SO much out there."

Posnanski also mentions that, depending how you choose to measure it, newspaper's readership is actually bigger than its ever been: 

"You know when you combine online and the print product, more people are reading newspapers today than at any point in American history."

The point that Posnanski goes on to make is that newspapers aren't dying but changing and changing drastically. And it's that change that makes a guy like Bissinger go on a rant with a temper and fury that would make Bob Knight blush. 

But the entire interview with Posnanski is worth reading, especially if you're interested in journalism. There's really a lot of practical advice for aspiring journalists. 

One thing I found particularly interesting is that he tries to avoid as much commentary on the world of sports (ESPN, talk radio, etc.) as he can so he is able to form his own opinion. That's a strategy that makes a lot of sense and would probably benefit a lot of writers. When you are overloaded with so many opinions on every topic in the sports world, many of which that make sense and many of which that don't, it becomes difficult to decipher your opinion from those of the Woody Paiges and J.A. Adandes. That in turn, makes it impossible to form your own unique voice, something I think most writers would tell you is the cornerstone to becoming successful writer.  

Anyways, that's my two cents on where the profession is going. Maybe it's just me hoping that I'm not entering into a dying business and destined to be homeless in 10 years, but for my sake lets hope not. 

3 comments:

Brian said...

Yeah, I have to agree with you on the notion that reading others' commentaries on sports in general is moronic without at least taking it with a grain of salt (i.e. talk radio, the Jay Mariottis and Bernie Miklauszs). If I read them, it's for pure entertainment value and I almost never take anything they say or write seriously - as if WFAN's Mike Francesa knows more about how to make the Mets a winner than Willie Randolph or Omar Minaya?

The True Son said...

It really presents a problem for someone like me who tries to make original and intelligent commentary on sports but also loves to read and especially loves to read about sports. Even if you take what you hear or see with a grain of salt, I think it's impossible to not at least be partially influenced by those others opinions and that's somewhat destructive to the writing process.

I guess the key is obviously finding that happy medium of being open to other's ideas and opinions while avoiding allowing them to single handedly shape your own opinions.

Unknown said...

But the problem is that some people don't want to think that much. Because of that, we need to have newspapers continue on. I agree with your point that blogs can work well with newspapers if done well.

The danger is that blogs might replace newspapers completely. A column from Patrick Reusse of the Star-Tribune was, I think, a great portrait of how bleak a future that could be. I think it's required reading for all sports journalists, and it can be found at http://www.startribune.com/sports/18752054.html

Good work.